High above the houses, the small church displays its architectural elegance soberly. Nevertheless, it is a fine heritage building with foundations dating back to the Middle Ages.
Description: Eglise de Villard-Notre-Dame
Next to a small cemetery, overlooking the village square and visible from far and wide, the church underwent considerable renovation a few years ago and is among the best preserved churches in Oisans.
The porch, which has similar features to that of the south gateway of La Grave church and a small shield-shaped stained-glass window, dates back to the Middle Ages. Its originality can still be seen in the wooden ceiling made of elegant box sections, together with a 19th-century sculpted preaching chair.
The bell tower, built of wood and originally covered with white iron, was rebuilt in stone between 1757 and 1776, as, according to Bishop Camus "it moved when we rang the bells".
Mairie de Villard-Notre-Dame