The village of Ornon is spread out over ten hamlets on the mountainside of the Lignarre valley.They all go back many centuries and comprise traditional mountain farms, most of which have now been renovated. With the Taillefer Natural Site and Col d’Ornon ski resort, the village offers tourism on a human scale, much appreciated for its simplicity.

Getting to Ornon 
1230 m.
Mountain village
150 Touristic beds
20 of Bourg d’Oisans
an Ornonai
an Ornonaise
  1. Family ski resort
  2. Orienteering
  3. Oisans Trail running race
  4. Nordic skiing area
  5. Taillefer Natural Site (Natura 2000)
  6. The Ornon Fault (geological site)


In winter time, this small resort is perfect for learning to ski away from the crowds, in a friendly, family atmosphere (the highest run starts at 2000 m). It also features cross country skiing, with a lovely Nordic skiing area, together with snowshoeing on waymarked trails and ski touring. In the summer, you can explore the various hamlets of Ornon, go horseriding, orienteering, walk up to the Lac du Rourchu or even up to the top of the majestic Taillefer. Dogsledding can be enjoyed in both winter and summer time.

History and Heritage

In 1914, there were nine slate quarries in Ornon, employing some 250 farmers as labourers. The slate was used solely for roofing, partly because its weight (40 kg/m²) made it completely wind resistant, but also because, compared to thatch, there was no risk of fire. The blocks of slate were mined in the winter, providing a welcome seasonal alternative to agricultural work. Ornon slate became so popular that it was transported by train throughout France and even exported to Australia. The Ornon slate quarries closed around 1950.


Whilst rambling along the many paths linking the hamlets of Ornon, spare a thought for the schoolboys who made the paths their playground. From November to the end of April, they made their way to the schoolyard from the surrounding farms. Needless to say, they were all strong walkers and as soon as the bell rang, they could be seen running along the same paths, teasing the girls from the neighbouring school. They used to be three schools in the Ornon area, two for boys in La Poyat and Ornon village and one for girls in La Pallud.
Strong health, combined with teaching levels far higher than those of other French regions, meant that the Haut Dauphiné region supplied travelling teachers throughout France. They wore one, two or three feathers in their hats, corresponding to the three services they offered, namely reading, writing and counting.

Tourist office of Bourg d’Oisans

For more information, contact Tourist office of Bourg d’Oisans

Quai Girard
38520 Le Bourg-d'Oisans

Oppening periods

From 01/01 to 31/12.
Closed exceptionally on January 1st, May 1st, May 8th, November 1st, November 11th and December 25th.
September to June
Monday to Saturday : 9am - 12am and 2pm - 6pm
July and August
Everyday : 9am to 6pm.