Base camp for easy access to all of Oisans.

Located in the valley, at an altitude of 713 m, Allemont is ideal for getting around Oisans easily. This is the departure point not only for cyclists climbing the Col du Glandon and the Col de la Croix de Fer, but also for a vast network of waymarked trails in the Massif des Grandes Rousses and the Belledonne. In both winter and summer, free shuttle buses take visitors up to the Alpe d’Huez Grand Domaine skiing or mountain biking areas, via Vaujany, Oz en Oisans or Villard-Reculas.

Today
Saturday18 November
-0 - 8 °C
Partly cloudy starting in the evening.
Getting to Allemont 
713 m.
Valley village
1023 Touristic beds
15 of Bourg d’Oisans
Bus service
an Allemondin
an Allemondine
  1. Lac du Verney watersports centre
  2. Crossroads between the village-resorts and Bourg d’Oisans (shuttles)
  3. Flat and mountainous relief
  4. Rock climbing needle

Leisure facilities at the foot of the mountains

One of the major attractions of Allemont is that it is home to the only watersports centre in Oisans, on the Verney reservoir! Visitors can enjoy paddle boating, canoeing, windsurfing, dinghy sailing and stand-up paddling, or simply picnic with the family, taking advantage of the children’s playgrounds. The friendly atmosphere of the Parc des Tilleuls, with its 200-year-old trees, provides a shady environment for most summer events. Just next door is a skate park, tennis court, swimming pool, rock climbing needle and the shuttle bus stops for gaining altitude before tackling the mountain biking downhill trails. Hiking in Allemont can mean either a flat walk with a pushchair or a challenging mountain hike!

History and Heritage

The history of Allemont village is marked by the mining industry and alpine agriculture. Old Allemont, around the church, still bears the features of traditional Oisans villages.
Silver ore was discovered in Oisans in 1767. Mining took place in Allemont under Louis XIII and Louix XIV, when it housed royal foundries (behind the tourist office) in which the ore from local mines – mainly silver, lead and copper – was smelted.
For many years, a hotel called “Les Tilleuls” existed within the buildings of the former royal foundry and it is rumoured that its guests included Napoleon III. This hotel, with a superb walnut staircase, was bought by a former village mayor in the 1920s, but unfortunately has since been demolished.
Mainly farmers and livestock breeders, the life of Allemondins changed at the end of the 1970s with the construction of the Grand-Maison dam. An economic godsend for the region, the 10-year building project brought in thousands of workers and helped development of tourism in the valley.

Le Rivier museum

In the former presbytery of Le Rivier d’Allemont, the Maison du Bouquetin is dedicated to the reintroduction of ibex in the Massif de Belledonne. It also houses the Espace York Mallory, which depicts the mysterious disappearance in Le Rivier, on 14 November 1944, of the aeroplane flown by Air Chief Marshall Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory, the air commander for the Allied invasion of Normandy. His brother, George Herbert Leigh Mallory was equally famous, as some consider him to be the first person to climb Everest (controversial to this day, as there is no proof that he actually reach the summit…).

Anecdotes

The legend of Marie Payen

In the summer of 1767, Marie Payen, a young shepherd girl from the hamlet of Les Clôts, was watching over her goats in the mountain of Challanches at an altitude of nearly 2000 m. She picked up a stone and prepared to throw it at one of the goats that was straying from the herd. The stone seemed surprisingly heavy and she decided to take it back to the village. In Allemont, the blacksmith noticed that it consisted of native silver. The news spread quickly and activity in the region reached fever pitch. The Royal Foundry, which now houses the tourist office, dates from this time (in a place known as « La Fonderie ») as does the Parc des Tilleuls, with its 200-year-old trees.

The legend of the Chôssyvieille…

Once upon a time there was a witch who lived in the Articol stream between the bridge and the waterfall. She watched over the children of the hamlet, the animals, mountain and forest, although she was a playful woman who played tricks on shepherds, playing around with the old rams and billy goats so that they often wondered why their flocks were so restless. She also watched over the spirit of the old huntsmen who haunted Le Gay. In winter, she rode her broomstick to the foot of the Pic de Belledonne and then skied down to Articol. Children stood on the bridge and called out “Hou hou, où es-tu la Chôssyvieille?” Sometimes they heard a noise, but it was generally the grandmothers who saw her!

Office de tourisme d’Allemont

For more information, contact Office de tourisme d’Allemont

400, route des Fonderies royales
38114 Allemont

Oppening periods

From 01/01 to 12/31 between 9.15 AM and 12 PM.
Closed on sunday.
Closed exceptionally on January 1st, May 1st, May 8th, November 1st, November 11th and December 25th.